The Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF), at its 21st Annual General Meeting held on 25 September 2020, has elected K. Madhavan, Managing Director, Star and Disney India, its new President. Madhavan succeeds N. P. Singh, India MD and CEO, Sony Pictures Networks, who held the position for two years.
Acknowledging his appointment, Madhavan said, “It is my honour to lead IBF at a time when the Indian broadcasting sector is going through a tumultuous time, battling the pandemic and instability in the regulatory space.”
Referring to IBF’s legacy in the media space, Madhavan added, “IBF has played an instrumental role in advocating the interests of the sector, and my predecessors have contributed immensely in evolving the foundation’s stature and purpose. I take on this role with a great sense of responsibility and commitment to champion the cause of the broadcasting sector.”
Congratulating Madhavan, Outgoing president Singh said, “I am pleased that someone of the calibre of K. Madhavan is taking over the reins and will lead the foundation. I welcome his selection wholeheartedly. His in-depth knowledge and insights into the sector will help guide the foundation members through these challenging times. I wish him the best in this new endeavour.”
A postgraduate in commerce from Calicut University and a Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers, Madhavan joined Asianet Communications Ltd in 1999 as Director and took charge of the company as MD and CEO in 2000.
Under his leadership, the company rose to become a regional entertainment powerhouse. Madhavan was the driving force behind Asianet’s growth as the undisputed leader in Malayalam with more than 50% of market share. Today, Asianet has a broadcast presence in over 100 countries. Madhavan’s template for a regional language network has since been replicated throughout India.
In 2009, Madhavan joined Star India as its South Head. At Star & Disney, India Madhavan supervises the company’s television business focussed on entertainment and sport.
The IBF Board has also elected the following office bearers of IBF:
Vice Presidents — IBF
- Rajat Sharma, Vice President-IBF and Chairman, India TV
- Siddharth Jain, Managing Director (South Asia), Turner International
- Rahul Joshi, Managing Director, Viacom18
- Shashi S. Vempati, CEO, Prasar Bharati
Other Directors on the IBF Board are:
- Aroon Purie, Chairman, TV Today
- N. P. Singh, MD & CEO, Sony Pictures Networks and Director, Bangla Entertainment
- Venkat, Director, Eenadu TV Ltd
- Punit Goenka, MD & CEO, Zee Media Corp
- Punit Misra, CEO-Domestic Broadcast Business, Zee Entertainment
- Rohit Gupta, President (Network Sales and International Business), Sony Pictures Networks
- Uday Shankar, President, The Walt Disney Company Asia Pacific and Chairman, Star and Disney India
- Megha Tata, Managing Director (South Asia), Discovery Communications India (Co-opted Director)
- John Brittas, Managing Director & Chief Editor, Malayalam Communications Ltd (Co-opted Director)